Friday, July 8, 2011

Similarities and Differences

I find it so fascinating to compare Hayden and Quinn. They are alike in so many ways and yet they are completely their own person as well. Here are some comparisons of the two

Pregnancy:
*With Hayden I was sick in the first trimester. I couldn't eat chicken, I hated the smell of coffee and bleach, and I threw up at least once a day. It went away around 12 weeks. I had sciatic nerve pain and heartburn the rest of the pregnancy.
*With Quinn I was REALLY sick in the first trimester. I could barely eat anything. Some of my staples were: Marshmallow fruit loops, peach fruit cups, chili, and omelets. But pretty much after I ate something once I couldn't eat it again. I could only eat meat if it was perfect, no tough spots, fat or gristle. Everything made me gag! I threw up multiple times a day. It went away around 14 weeks. After that I had really bad back problems, so bad that I got a temporary handicap sticker for my car. My heartburn was so bad that I took tums multiple times a day. I had to have them with me at all times.

Labor/Birth
Both labors started with my water breaking
*With Hayden my water broke and my contractions were immediately 2 minutes apart and very strong. I had back labor. Water broke at 2:00am and he was born at 7:25am.I had an epidural. I hemorrhaged after his birth.
*With Quinn my water broke at 11:00pm. Contractions started slowly, they weren't painful (but they were in my back) and they were anywhere from 5-10 minutes apart. Quinn was born at 10:54am. It was a much longer labor but I had no drugs this time around. I hemorrhaged after the birth.

Nursing
*Hayden and I had some issues nursing at the beginning. I didn't get to nurse him until he was at least an hour old. He was pretty sleepy. I called the LC at the hospital to help me several times. She was pretty useless. When Hayden was 5 days old he was admitted back into the hospital to spend some time under the Bili lights. He had formula while in the hospital. I think a lot of our issues during our early days stemmed from bad advice. In the beginning, I didn't nurse him nearly enough. It took 5 days for my milk to come in. Once it did come in, however, he did great. He went on to nurse until he was just over 3 years old!
*Quinn was maybe 10 minutes old when I got to nurse her. :) I had some issues in the hospital the day she was born with her latch but we got the hang of it and she was determined to make my milk come in sooner. Her first night in this world she wanted to stay latched on the entire time. When I brought her home it was the same, it was difficult to eat or shower the first few days. She was successful though, my milk came in at 3 days and she was never in danger of having to go back to the hospital for jaundice. Quinn has never had a drop of formula in her life.

Personality
*Hayden was the most laid back baby. He slept whenever and where ever. We could be out and about all day and he would sleep when he needed to and when he was awake he was happy and calm. Around 3 months old he became very wiggly. Tawnya nicknamed him Wiggles.
*Quinn was pretty fussy her first few months. I figured that I had OALD and block nursed her until she just stopped being so fussy at around 2 months. She's a very happy little girl but not as laid back as her brother. She doesn't nap well away from home so it makes it a little more difficult to be out all day. She's just as wiggly as her brother. Brian says she's more wiggly.

While I'm at work
*Hayden hated the bottle. He would eat what he needed to take the edge off his hunger and that was it. He would nurse like mad when I got home from work. My poor Mom always felt so bad, like she was starving him!
*Quinn will take the bottle. She doesn't like it but she will actually eat instead of reverse cycle.

Solid Foods
*Hayden hated pureed food and would clamp his mouth shut when I tried to give him any. He ate some solids (whole peas, and cheerios) but didn't really like to try new things until he was one.
*Quinn is a completely different story.She got her first taste of solids (banana) on  her 6 month birthday and to my surprise she loved it. So far she's had applesauce, banana, butternut squash, peas and cottage cheese. She's going to try avocado this week.

Looks
*Hayden obviously looks like Brian, although as he gets older I see some Baggiore traits in him as well. He was born with lots of blond hair on the top of his head (hence the heartburn!) but not a whole lot on the sides and back. He was 8lbs9oz and 21 inches long. A big baby, but long and thin. He got pretty chubby until he started crawling and then he slowly turned into the beanpole he is now. He's got light brown (or dark blond) hair and hazel eyes.
*With Quinn its difficult to say who she looks like. She looks a little like Hayden which means she looks a little like Brian as well, but she has my dark hair and some facial features. I guess she's more of a mix of the two of us. She was born with lots of dark hair all over, I was able to put a ponytail in her hair at 3 months! Her baby hair is falling out now but she's got lots of thick dark hair coming in pretty quick! She was 8lbs7oz and 18.5 inches long. She looked like she weighed over 9lbs but it was because she was so short and she already had fat rolls on her! She weighed a lot more at 6 months than Hayden did. He was about 16lbs and she was 19lbs8oz! (She's just over 20lbs now!!!) I presume she will lose all her chub when she gets mobile just like Hayden did. I thought she would have brown eyes by now but right now they are still blue/green/grey with a brown spot in her left eye.

As different (or alike) as they are, I am so in love with my two little ones! I love watching their personalities emerge and seeing how unique each of them are!


Hayden at about 5 months old

Quinn at about 6 months old

No comments: